There are basically eight chemical elements that makeup rocks on the earth’s crust: oxygen, silicon, aluminum, iron, potassium, calcium, and magnesium. There are many types of rocks composed of these elements, with different shapes, structures, and colors. The quartz component (silica) is the most widely distributed element in the earth’s crust, and it is also a common heterogeneous variant and hard mineral. It makes the mineralizer formed by differentiation and crystallization under various geological conditions. The crystals are very different. For example, there are crystals of apparent crystalline quality and agate, chalcedony, opal, jasper, yellow wax, and so on in cryptocrystalline quality. Although they show different colors, they have the same composition. The following is a brief description of some quartz minerals:
1. Crystal: Common colorless crystals, brown crystals, smoky crystals, pink crystals, purple crystals, yellow crystals, black crystals, green crystals, red crystals (rare varieties), rainbow crystals (rare varieties), hair Crystal (rare varieties), and so on.
2. Chalcedony: The magma melt material that erupts or overflows the earth’s crust rapidly condenses, and the rock is composed of cryptocrystalline quartz aggregates, with various colors and delicate textures, so it is called the essence of jade, classified by different colors:
1. Green chalcedony: apple green, blue-green, containing nickel oxide elements, bright color, glass luster, slightly transparent to opaque, roughly looks like Burmese jade, but their structure is very different. The world’s better quality green chalcedony is produced in Australia, so it is also called Australian jade;
2. Yellow chalcedony: light yellow to golden yellow, translucent, Longing County, Yunnan Province is rich in good quality yellow chalcedony, which is known locally as “Yellow Dragon Jade”;
3. Blue chalcedony: abounds in Taiwan, my country; in addition, there are carnelian, blood chalcedony, white chalcedony, and so on.
3. Jasper (quartz rock): mainly green, with red, yellow, dark green, and other colors. It is mostly produced in sedimentary metamorphic rocks. It is a cryptocrystalline compact quartz block aggregate, often with ink spots and irregularities. Regular black pattern, high iron content, glass luster, poor transparency.
4. Agate: It is mostly produced in lava from volcanic eruptions or overflow. It has the characteristics of special concentric belts and parallel belts. It is composed of silica gel solutions of different colors that are continuously filled around the hole to the center in stages, and each agate is cut. There is a feature of a geode inside. Agate is the most widely distributed and most characteristic colored gemstone on the earth, such as Yuhua stone, Gobi stone, colored pebbles, and desert paint are all agate. The “money stone” found in Longmen’s strange stone lovers in our city is also a kind of agate stone that gathers and grows.